Volunteer Missions Opportunities
The BGCO Partnership Missions Office can connect you with volunteer missions opportunities in Colorado, Latvia and Guerrero, Mexico. Contact us for information today!
WHAT IS PARTNERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER MISSIONS?
Partnership and Volunteer Missions is part of the Church Outreach Team of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma. The purposes of Partnership and Volunteer Missions are:
• to encourage and enable churches to be ACTS 1:8 churches by providing opportunities to go to their “Samaria” and to “the ends of the earth”
• to effectively connect enthusiastic volunteers with significant ministry.
WORDS OF JESUS
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”-Acts 1:8
The burning question introduced by Acts 1:8 is this: By what criteria should any person, anywhere, be denied the right to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
The Bible indicates that Jesus intends for a church to witness concerning Him in its local area, in the state, in the country, and in the entire world at the same time. It seems impossible, but Southern Baptist Churches accomplish this task by giving to missions through the Cooperative Program and through participation in Partnership Missions.
WHY GO ON A SHORT TERM MISSION TRIP?
Short term trips to domestic and international mission areas are of great value to the volunteers and to those to whom they are ministering. Going on a short term mission trip assists missionaries who are supported by the Cooperative Program to evangelize the lost and plant new churches around the world. Short term mission trips help volunteers to grow spiritually. Volunteers learn to pray earnestly for missions, to give generously to missions, and to witness more effectively at home.
EXPECTATIONS OF VOLUNTEERS
* A sense of call to go on the mission trip
* Ability to contribute to objectives of the trip
* Attitude of servanthood, flexibility, and cooperativeness
* Willingness to maintain unity in the team
* Good health
* Spiritually healthy with disciplines of prayer, Bible study and obedience
* Absence of any immoral habit which includes use of tobacco or alcohol
* Fifteen years of age or older unless accompanied by a parent
* Member of a Southern Baptist Church
* Minister under the direction of the missionary on the field and the team leader
* Adapt to the culture of the people whom you serve
* Overcome culture shock with prayer and consultation with friends
* Witness to people concerning Jesus no matter what your task is
* Show love to the people by being friendly, kind and humble
* People interested in a mission trip may contact the Partnership Mission office at 405/942-3000 ext. 4336.
* Visit the International Mission Board website.