Workshops are scheduled through the year as the need arises.
If you are interested in receiving any of the Literacy Missions training, contact Cheryl Wilkinson, BGCO Literacy Missions Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 405-613-1513.
Friday and Saturday, August 9-10
On Friday and Saturday, two different 11-hour basic workshops will be offered:
- Adult Reading and Writing (ARW) | Friday & Saturday – You’ll learn to share Christ while assisting adult English-speaking, low-level readers.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) | Friday & Saturday – You’ll learn to share the Gospel while teaching internationals how to speak English.
- Visual Phonics | Saturday Only – Visual Phonics is a multi-sensory tool that is helpful, additional training for those who have already completed one of the Literacy Missions basic workshops in the past (ARW, ESL, or TCY-Tutoring Children and Youth.) Other interested individuals may register to attend, as well. Visual Phonics is a system of forty-five hand shapes and written symbols that look and feel like the sounds they represent. It helps students hear, see, and feel the sounds in our spoken language.
Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma (Baptist Building) | 3800 N. May Ave., Oklahoma City
Friday (August 9), 3:30-8:45 p.m. and Saturday (August 10), 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The workshop registration cost for the ARW ($45) or ESL ($35) workshop includes a training manual, snacks, a light dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday. (The ARW cost includes a fee for one additional curriculum book.)
The workshop registration cost for Visual Phonics ($15) includes snacks and lunch on Saturday. Visual Phonics teaching materials will be available for sale at the workshop.
- Organizing a ministry
- Using teaching materials and resources
- Locating and placing students
- Lesson planning
- Understanding students’ needs
- Sharing your faith with students
- The ESL workshop includes information about introducing new vocabulary, pronunciation, working with advanced students, and dealing with cultural misunderstandings.
- The TCY workshop includes information about helping with reading, writing, and math; and helping students who have learning differences.
- The ARW workshop includes information about teaching reading skills to adults using the Laubach Way to Reading and the Bible, and helping students with learning differences.
- A certificate will be awarded upon completion of the 11 hours of training, and you will be prepared to begin working with students and even organizing a literacy missions ministry!
Registration deadline is Monday, August 5, 2019.
Contact Cheryl Wilkinson, Literacy Missions Coordinator at email@example.com 405-613-1513.