Our Special Needs Ministry seeks to provide tools, resources and support for those with special needs & their caregivers. CAMP PERFECT WINGS is our primary tool for special needs.
May 31 – June 2, 2018
REGISTRATION OPEN NOW
Camp Perfect Wings is our primary tool for special needs. It is an amazing camp held once a year in the Spring/Early Summer and is designed especially for Kids & Adults with special needs who are age 8 and up. It includes guided activities like music, crafts, games, water games, target sports, motorcycle rides, horseback riding, cookout, and more!
Thursday, May 31
5:00-5:20 Volunteer meeting with Becka in the Dining Hall
8:20-9:30 Time for Special Party
10:00 Lights out
Friday, June 1
1:00-3:00 Talent Show/ Ropes Course/ Swimming
8:15-9:30 Rock N’ Roll Dance
10:00 Lights out
Saturday, June 2
8:15-8:45 Clean-up in cabins
9:00-9:45 ROAD Rally Celebration
10:00-12:00 Activities (Horses, Carriage Rides, Wacky Science, Sports and ROAD activity)
12:00-1:00 Cookout at Falls Creek
1:00-2:30 Motorcycle Rally
3:00 Load vehicles and head home
CAMPERS & BUDDIES
At Camp Perfect Wings, there are 2 types of attendees: Campers and Buddies. Below are the descriptions for each.
Campers are children and adults from age 8 and up who have intellectual or developmental disabilities. During the camp, Campers will enjoy games, activities, worship & Bible time designed with their special needs in mind.
REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 1, 2017.
*Campers must have no life-threatening condition nor contagious disease. All disabilities must be listed on the online registration form. A responsible adult or teen, designated as a Buddy, must accompany each Camper. One Buddy may accompany up to three campers. Campers requiring assistance with mobility or behavior management must provide one-on-one staffing during the duration of the event. Please read the Policies and Procedures of Camp Perfect Wings for more details.
Health & Medications
- All campers are required to provide a Medical Authorization Form to the Camp Nurse on the first day of camp. Download the Medical Authorization form below and send it with your Camper to camp:
- The camp medical staff will administer ALL medications (over-the-counter and prescription). All medications must remain in its original container. Medication will be securely stored in the Nurse’s Station.
- All medication must be brought in its original container. This container must be placed inside another container or zipper bag with their name, times & instructions for taking the medication. Please ensure that all information is clearly printed.
- Medications will be given to the Nurse at the Nurse’s Station when the Camper arrives on the first day of camp after Registration.
- All meals are included in the registration fee. Each camper will also be given tickets to “spend”, but it is not necessary to send additional money. No food is permitted in sleeping areas.
A buddy is a responsible adult or teen (16 years and up) who has the desire to serve with those with Special Needs. They can be people who have worked or work currently with special needs individuals, are family members of special needs individuals or anyone else who wants to serve those with special needs. Previous experience working with special needs individuals is NOT required. A buddy may accompany up to 3 Campers. Campers requiring assistance with mobility, behavior management, or skills, will require one-on-one staffing during the duration of the camp.
REGISTRATION OPENS OCTOBER 1, 2017.
- Assist campers in all camp activities
- Help the camper stay engaged and on task
- Be an advocate for the camper
- Stay with the camper at all times
- Assist the camper with daily tasks as needed
- Help the camper succeed!
- Background Checks are required for all Buddies and Volunteers over the age of 18.
- Background checks must be current within the last 18 months.
- A copy of a person’s background check must be mailed to:
Attn: Camp Perfect Wings
3800 N May Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
- If you do not have a current background check with your church, we will provide one for you for $10. You will select this option on the form when you register.
- For buddies under 18 we request a recommendation from the buddy’s church, as detailed in the camp policies and procedures.
- Camp Perfect Wings follows the same background check policies as CrossTimbers Children’s Mission Adventure Camp.
DOWNLOADS & RESOURCES
FOR CHURCHES & GROUPS
Churches and Groups are encouraged to bring their Special Needs Campers and Buddies together to camp. This makes camp more effective and comfortable for both Campers and Buddies. Churches and groups who attend together are grouped together for activities and sleeping arrangements.
To save these items to your computer, simply click on the file and once it has opened in your browser, right-click and select “Save As…”
- Registration Group Checklist – Required
- What to Bring List (for Campers & Buddies)
- CPW Medication Release and Authorization Form (all campers must have and bring to camp)
- CPW Policies and Procedures (all those who register for CPW must accept this online when they register. This copy is for your information)
- Background Check Compliance Form – (All volunteers 18 years and older must have a background check before attending Camp Perfect Wings.)
- Medication Lanyard Cards
- This can be printed and used to help Buddies keep track of when their Camper needs to take medication. Have parent/guardian complete and then laminate or put in a badge holder to be worn on the Buddy’s lanyard at camp.
Camp Perfect Wings is a cooperative effort between the BGCO Family Ministries and BGCO Childhood Ministries.
Camp Perfect Wings is held at Crosstimbers Conference Center in Davis, Oklahoma
5039 Hwy 77 South, Davis OK 73030
Keith Burkhart, Family & Men’s Ministry Specialist (405)942-3800 x4649
Dori Turner, Family & Men’s Ministry Assistant (405)942-3800 x4634
Charlie Gatton, CrossTimbers Program Director/Children’s Ministry Specialist (405)942-3800 x4633
Pat Jones, Childhood Ministry Assistant (405)942-3800 x4648
Becka Johnson, Director
If you have questions about starting a special needs program in your church or need other resources for this area of ministry, please give us a call at 405-942-3800 x4634.